UKZN Accommodation for Students 2024-2025
UKZN Accommodation for Students 2024-2025
General details regarding student housing at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) that could be beneficial for planning purposes.
UKZN provides a variety of accommodation options for students, including on-campus residences, off-campus accommodation, and private rentals. The on-campus residences are generally preferred by first-year students as they offer a supportive living and learning environment. Students who wish to live on campus must apply for residence by submitting an online application. The application period typically opens in August for the following academic year.
The on-campus residences at UKZN are divided into different categories based on factors such as gender, academic year, and program of study. The categories include:
- General residences – for undergraduate and postgraduate students of all genders and programs of study
- Female-only residences – for female undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Male-only residences – for male undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Special residences – for students with specific needs, such as disability or medical conditions
Each residence has a different capacity and offers different amenities, but generally, they all provide fully furnished rooms, communal kitchens, laundry facilities, and study areas. The cost of on-campus accommodation varies depending on the residence and the room type.
Off-campus accommodation options near UKZN include apartments, flats, and houses that are rented out by private landlords. Students can also find shared accommodation with other students. The university provides a list of off-campus accommodation options on their website, but it is the responsibility of the student to secure their own off-campus housing.
In summary, if you are a student looking for accommodation at UKZN for the 2024-2025 academic year, you will need to apply for on-campus residence during the application period in August of 2023. Alternatively, you can explore off-campus accommodation options by checking the list of options provided by the university or contacting private landlords directly.
Accommodation for Students at UKZN On the beautiful campuses of the University of KwaZulu-Natal, students can study in comfort. The aforementioned web portal has meticulously documented each campus for prospective students.
Accommodation for University of KwaZulu-Natal students
- Residence halls are available on the Edgewood campus. There are catering and self-catering options available. On campus, there are 631 students living in 11 residences. Women constitute 55% of the population and are housed apart from men. Single and double rooms are available. Some residences provide self-catering options. Access control doors are installed in all residences. Postgraduate students have access to five additional flats, each of which can accommodate five students.
|Howard College & Medical School|
- There are approximately 2162 students residing in the Howard College and Medical School residence halls in Durban. There is a lot of competition for the positions that are available, and not all applicants will be accepted. Charles Smith Hall and Albert Luthuli Hall are the two residence halls. Twelve individual residences make up Charles Smith Hall, which is close to the Medical School, banks, shops, and the main academic buildings. Albert Luthuli Hall consists of the Cluster Residence and the six-story Tower Residence. On the western side of the Howard College campus, this complex is away from the academic buildings but close to the Old Mutual Sports Centre and most sports fields. Parking, call boxes, intercom systems, lounges and television rooms, and access control are all available. For prospective students, the aforementioned web portal has meticulously documented its various campuses.
|Mixed Gender Residence – St Hillier|
- The apartments at St Hillier are fully furnished two and three-bedroom apartments. Each student has their own bedroom. The lounge, kitchen, and bathroom are shared by all occupants. There is also parking and a laundry room. St Hillier is located in Umbilo, directly across from Queensmead Shopping Mall, and is a short walk from the Medical School campus. It is accessible via the Howard College bus route.
|J V Smit Residence|
- This residence has 90 large single rooms, as well as entertainment and study areas and tennis courts. It’s a catering company. There are laundry and parking facilities available. J V Smit is near the Medical School campus and a bus route that connects Howard College and the city.
- Residences house approximately 1 640 students. One-third of the enrolled students live in one of the four residence halls. For off-campus housing assistance, contact the Student Housing helpdesk.
|Petrie Hall Of Residence|
- Petrie Hall is primarily a residence hall for first- and second-year female students. The three large residences, Eleanor Russell Hall, University Hall, and Lodge, are close to the Science Block, Administration, Student Services, the library, tennis courts, shops, the Post Office, and banks. It is the responsibility of a student committee to ensure that all residence life runs smoothly for students.
|William O’Brien Hall Of Residence|
- The William O’Brien residence (men) is on campus and consists of single rooms distributed across six blocks with communal kitchens. The residence sports program, senior and junior lounges, a large communal games room, and a visitor’s reception lounge all cater to extracurricular activities. A braai area, car repair, wash bays, and secure parking for all residents’ vehicles are also available.
|Malherbe Hall Of Residence|
- Men’s and women’s Malherbe Residence are directly across Durban Road from the University gate. Male and female guests share the TV lounge and common rooms. The residence is surrounded by a quadrangle of grass, trees, and shrubs, giving students a place to relax or play ball. Additionally, there is a braai area. Walking distance takes you to the Students’ Union, the Science Block, the Old Arts Block, shops, banks, and the Post Office. On the other hand, walking distance to the New Arts Block, Commerce, Law, Agriculture, and Life Sciences Blocks is only ten minutes. The Malherbe Flats (for postgraduate students) are known by the names Brucian House and Robleigh House. They’re perfect for small groups of students who want to share three, four, or five bedrooms. It is not possible to share a room with another person. The majority of the rooms are self-contained and furnished. There are a number of lock-up garages that can be rented.
|Denison Hall Of Residence|
- Denison (men and women) is located on the old golf course portion of campus in a quiet park-like setting. Denison has its own kitchen complex as well as a clubhouse with a large communal lounge and the Denison pub. The residence has a gym, TV, snooker, and table tennis.
- On the Westville campus, there are off-campus and self-catering flats, as well as on-campus residences with meals available upon request.
- On campus, there are 1810 students. There is a lot of competition for the positions that are available, and not all applicants will be accepted. The four private blocks are S-Block, R-Block, P-Block, and O-Block. The O-Block is only for women, while the other blocks are mixed. Parking, television rooms, and access control are all included in each residence. All residences are independent, with the exception of O-Block, which still has a dining facility.
- 713 students are housed off-campus. It is impossible to accept all applications because of the intense competition. These apartments come furnished to the gills. Postgraduate students may request a single room if it is available. Each student shares a double room. All occupants share the bathroom and kitchen. Hospital Road is where the Bedford Hall and San Sabil homes are in town. Dunstaple Heights is on Varsity Drive, whereas Santa Cruz is in Reservoir Hills and is only for postgraduate students.
|Admission to Residences|
- Local first-year applicants must submit an application to the Central Applications Office (CAO) for consideration for residence hall admission. No separate application is required. A student may not always be accommodated in the location of their choice.
- International students at KwaZulu-Natal University must apply for housing.
- The deadline for undergraduate applications is September 30.
- Admission is based on financial need, academic potential, and distance from home.
- If accepted, applicants may be required to find off-campus housing because the university cannot guarantee that they will be placed in a residence hall.
- All students will be required to sign a Residence Code of Conduct.
- In 2021, a R25,892 annual lodging fee would make up residence fees. The accommodation deposit for local students is R2750 (2018). These charges do not include meals. Food costs approximately R23 980 per year.) International students are required to pay 25% of their residence fees prior to registering. In student housing, there is no provision for bed linen.
- All residences in Pietermaritzburg, Howard College, Edgewood, and Westville offer self-catering facilities. It is expected of students to prepare their own meals. Understudies should give their own earthenware, cutlery, pots, and other cooking tools. Food options are also available on campus. Meals are served in on-campus residences on the Westville campus. Edgewood provides self-catering lodging. Student Housing in UKZN
|Linen, Laundry And Cleaning|
- Linen and laundry are the responsibility of the student. There are separate laundry rooms for each residence. It is also expected of students to clean their own rooms.
- Students may request to remain in residence during vacations; cost data is accessible from Understudy Lodging Workplaces.
|For more information contact|
Tel: +27 (0) 33 260 3611
Fax: +27 (0) 31 260 3426
|Howard College And Medical School|
Tel: +27 (0) 31 260 2282
Fax: +27 (0) 31 260 1396
Tel: +27 (0) 31 260 6226
Fax: +27(0)33 260 5798
Tel: +27 (0) 31 260 8070
Fax: +27 (0)31 260 7113
Please contact: for assistance in finding off-campus housing.
Howard College and Medical School Tel: +27 (0) 31 260 2182
Pietermaritzburg Tel: +27 (0) 33 260 6226
Westville Tel: +27(0) 31 260 7363